English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I need to describe some measurements of an arrow shape. Are there names for the measurements described in the diagram pictured below? Blue lines indicate a measurement and are capped with red lines.


image source

share|improve this question
Here's a link to a website with an illustration of an arrow and its parts. Might be a useful place to start. – tylerharms Dec 14 '12 at 21:38
That is very useful. Thanks! – bwroga Dec 14 '12 at 22:29
Did you create this picture or did you get it from somewhere else? If somewhere else, that place would more likely have the vocabulary you seek. If you created it, what tells you that those are the important parts of an arrow and that others will have words for them? – Mitch Dec 16 '12 at 18:10
Why would you think that English has words for such things? – tchrist Dec 16 '12 at 23:45
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Here's a proposed list of terms based on these diagrams of an arrowhead and an arrow:

arrowhead arrow

  • A: head length
  • B: tip-to-neck length
  • C: shaft length
  • D: ear length
  • E: ear width
  • F: head width
  • G: nock depth
  • H: fletching or shaft width

However, most people won't be familiar with these perhaps other than arrowhead and shaft, so if you use them it would be good to include a labelled diagram.

share|improve this answer
So are you (intelligently) guessing or do you have an authority on arrow construction? – Mitch Dec 16 '12 at 18:11
Neither, just suggesting some terms as I'm not sure if they already exist. – Hugo Dec 16 '12 at 19:54

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.