English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is it called when a person has the exact same first and last name (and same spelling), whether named by parents or as a result of marriage? For example, Thomas Thomas.

share|improve this question
A stutter? A stammer? :) – coleopterist Dec 12 '12 at 19:28
Not a duplicate, but somewhat related: english.stackexchange.com/questions/70728/… – J.R. Dec 12 '12 at 19:42
I would call him Ditto. – Fortiter Dec 13 '12 at 3:11

They are very likely informally termed tautonyms or as the Wikipedia page tells me, linguistically called reduplicants. There's a page full of people with reduplicated names including:

  • José José
  • Justo Justo
  • Kelly Kelly
  • Lisa Lisa
  • Thomas T. Thomas

The term is not used solely for names with reduplicated first and last names, but also for other variants such as Jar Jar Binks or Richie Rich.

share|improve this answer
Good to hear this word! – Manoochehr Dec 12 '12 at 21:19

protected by Mari-Lou A May 25 at 6:52

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.