English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I can’t find anything suggesting that one cannot take out principle from Roth IRA account for education or housing purchases. Nor it’s indicated that money are doled out in a form of a loan.

Part in bold is under question. However, I would also appreciate your pointing out other errors too.

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

'To suggest' is more common, though both make sense.

As for other errors, it should perhaps be 'take out the principle from the Roth IRA account'.

And it should definitely be 'Nor is it', not 'nor it's'. 'It's' is a contraction of 'it is', not 'is it'. Also, it should be 'money is' not 'money are' (money is collective/singular), and it should be 'in the form' not 'a form'.


I can't find anything to suggest that one cannot take out the principle from the Roth IRA account for education or housing purchases. Nor is it indicated that money is doled out in the form of a loan.

share|improve this answer
why "the" before Roth IRA account? – Anderson Silva Jan 20 '11 at 15:21
and why the before "form" since i am NOT talking about the specific form? – Anderson Silva Jan 20 '11 at 15:22
'why "the" before Roth IRA account?' - because you are talking about a specific account. If you were talking more generally you would leave it out. - 'take out the principle from savings accounts.' – user3444 Jan 20 '11 at 19:35

I can’t find anything that suggests...

share|improve this answer
This is pretty common too. – Senthil Kumaran Jan 20 '11 at 15:19
but then you'll have that...that, which is not too nice. – Jimi Oke Jan 20 '11 at 22:38

Also, it should be principal, not principle. The former refers, among other things, to the original amount deposited (as opposed to interest, etc.), which is what's being referred to here.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.