English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a single word in English which can replace someone/something who gives shelter or shelter-giving?

I am not only interested in a person who gives shelter but something which gives a sense of shelter e.g. shelter-giving earth.

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

I like sheltering given in another answer. There is also harbour, or harbouring (harbor or harboring) and safe harbour (safe harbor).

share|improve this answer
Safe harbor or safe harbour can be used, too. – Kristina Lopez Dec 11 '12 at 23:14
@KristinaLopez even better. I'll add it to my answer. – JAM Dec 11 '12 at 23:43

A hotelier is someone who provides shelter and lodging.

If you're looking for a more general term, refuge is something that gives shelter.

share|improve this answer

Why not just sheltering? Use the noun as a verb; it's perfectly appropriate in English.

For example, take a look at this novel and movie title:

The Sheltering Sky

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.