English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a word for a place where people frequently come in contact with one another? This is like an intersection but in the context of general habitable places. For example,

[...]as I was running up and down to calm down my stupid dog so that he won't go out and bite people and/or bring bring back a piece of raw flesh and/or throw up a massive vomit somewhere __.

share|improve this question
You mean a place that people frequently come in contact with -- places don't come in contact, people do. :) – Kris Dec 2 '12 at 12:26
A busy place, in common parlance. – Kris Dec 2 '12 at 12:27
The only place I've ever heard of that comes in contact with people is Brigadoon instead of the other way around, and the frequency is only once per century. Oh, possibly Laputa as well. – Robusto Dec 2 '12 at 12:46
@Robusto: the Symplegades which Jason and the Argonauts just avoided. – tylerharms Dec 2 '12 at 13:58
@tylerharms: Just so. Thank you. – Robusto Dec 2 '12 at 14:23
up vote 6 down vote accepted

The words "busy" or "bustling" fill in the blank in your example sentence, or they could be used in combination with some form of "public place" to fit your need.

busy (adj.) full of or characterized by activity: a busy life.

bustling (adj.) to abound or teem with something; display an abundance of something; teem (often followed by with ): The office bustled with people and activity.

share|improve this answer

... somewhere public.


... somewhere heavily trafficked.

share|improve this answer
or You wanna go where everybody knows your name. – LarsTech Dec 2 '12 at 16:57

It's a little bit literary, but frequented or well frequented.

In less formal language I would say somewhere where people go.

share|improve this answer

In Ancient Greece, it was the agora. It is difficult to find a modern english equivalent. A few hundred years ago, it was the public square or the market place. Last century, it might have been called the "High Street". I fear that in 2012 it may "the mall".

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.