English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am looking for a hypernym of to deposit and to withdraw (money to and from a bank account).

I thought about several options like "to perform a financial transaction", however I need something more concise and short.

share|improve this question
A compound of deposit and withdraw would be deposit-withdraw. What you are looking for is a hypernym. – RegDwigнt Nov 27 '12 at 19:23
@Reg, thanks for revising my post! – SkyDan Nov 27 '12 at 20:47
up vote 11 down vote accepted

The first hypernym I thought of was transaction, which can be a hypernym for deposit and withdrawal.

You're looking for a verb, though, not a noun. That being the case, you could use the verb transact. Wiktionary says:

transact (v.) 1. To do, carry through, conduct or perform some action. 2. To carry over, hand over or transfer something. 3. To conduct business. 4. To exchange or trade, as of ideas, money, goods, etc.

share|improve this answer

Transfer can be used as a noun or verb to refer to deposits and withdrawals.

share|improve this answer
Agreed. This immediately came to mind when reading the question title. – Daniel Nov 27 '12 at 19:25
At least in typical banking terms, transfer generally means moving money from one account to another account, and wouldn't generally include, say, depositing or withdrawing cash. I'd go with transact to be the most inclusive. – Darrel Hoffman Nov 27 '12 at 22:48

Use transfer. This goes both ways.

I transferred money to my account.

I transferred money from my account.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.