English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My best guess is trophy case but I'm assuming I'm wrong.

share|improve this question
Incorrect assumption. Trophy case it is. – user21497 Nov 27 '12 at 8:11
Mine go on the mantelpiece, even though I don't have a mantelpiece. But then I don't have all that many trophies, either. – Brian Hooper Nov 27 '12 at 8:50
Or trophy shelf, if the trophies aren't enclosed in glass. – J.R. Nov 27 '12 at 9:31

In the UK it's invariably a trophy cabinet.

share|improve this answer
Posted as an answer not a comment because it appears there may be regional or dialectal differences. – Andrew Leach Nov 27 '12 at 8:14
Thank you Andrew. – Warren van Rooyen Nov 27 '12 at 8:16
I find trophy cabinet unambiguous, whereas the first thing I thought of for trophy case was some sort of soft slip-case to wrap and protect it. But I’m precaffeinated, so the analogy with book case didn’t come to mind at first. – tchrist Nov 27 '12 at 12:56

Saying trophy case is just fine.

share|improve this answer

If you don't want to lock them up in a display case, a pedestal will do fine.

(a display case you dedicate to storing trophies becomes a trophy case...)

share|improve this answer

a fancier option would be 'vitrine'

share|improve this answer
Welcome to EL&U! Do you mind adding the definition of "vitrine" to your answer? – MrHen Oct 23 '13 at 23:40

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.