English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

As compared to "verbal communication" or "visual communication", I was wondering if there was a synonym for "written communication" that is semantically similar to the first two. What throws me off is that written is both a verb and an adjective, while verbal and visual are singularly adjectives. Is this a distinction I should even worry about?

share|improve this question
It is always admirable to worry about distinction — and then dismiss the worry if it is groundless! I observe, however, that both written and oral (or aural) communications are verbal — expressed in words — and that written differs from the others grammatically or structurally rather than semantically. – StoneyB Nov 27 '12 at 8:36
Thanks for the clarification! – Brendon Roberto Nov 27 '12 at 19:52
up vote 0 down vote accepted

Don't worry about what part of speech these three words are for two reasons:

First, verbal is a noun as well as an adjective;

Second, it doesn't matter what part of speech they are but how they are used.

If you have an example sentence that might confuse a reader or listener, please provide, though.

share|improve this answer
I'm not sure that it would ever be confusing, I was just looking for a word that fit the same grammatical style as the other two. – Brendon Roberto Nov 27 '12 at 19:54

I think Textual communication is the officially accepted equivalent.

share|improve this answer
What office would that be? – StoneyB Nov 27 '12 at 20:38

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.