English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

enter image description here

It's the wall when the suspect is taken a shot. I don't know how to call it so It's hard for me to find picture about the wall itself.

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

It doesn’t really have a particular name. It’s just a wall with height markings in feet on it. However, sometimes people do refer to it as a “police lineup wall”. That because it’s the kind of thing they use in police lineups.

Notice the handcuffs in your image? It’s making some sort of comment related to getting arrested or being in jail, or having one’s mugshot taken. For example, from The Usual Suspects:

usual suspects line-up

You see this sort of wall markings all the time now in convenience stores and other places liable to be robbed. That’s because that way the video conveniently takes a picture of the bandits with their height clearly documented.

That said, the standard police lineup technique doesn’t work very well, and some jurisdictions have switched to sounder methods. But the markings left on pillars next to checkout counters for video cameras to snap pictures of still have their own uses.

share|improve this answer
"You see this sort of wall markings all the time now in convenience stores": Yikes! Really? – coleopterist Nov 21 '12 at 2:51
Oh wow, I've noticed them in bank lobbies but didn't know that's what they were used for! – sacohe Nov 21 '12 at 3:41
@sacohe: Did you think they were put there so that customers could measure their kids? :^) As for its name, one could call it a "height indicator". (The thin strips along convenience store door jambs are marketed under the name "height indicator tape".) – J.R. Nov 21 '12 at 8:58
@J.R. That's what I used it for when I was a kid! ;) – sacohe Nov 21 '12 at 12:08

I have seen "mug-shot wall," "mugshot wall," and also "Rogue's Gallery" for something with a little flavor that describes the whole scene--wall and lineup. Rogue's Gallery could also refer to a collection of individual mug shot photos, so the usage would have to reflect that you are describing the criminal lineup.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.