English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a term for words filling in for body language (*sigh*) and/or for typography being used to express tone or intonation (THIS IS SHOUTING)?

share|improve this question
These are really two separate questions, the first one being a duplicate of How are specific cartoon-type interjections like “cough” and “sigh” called in English? – RegDwigнt Nov 18 '12 at 5:05
A tremendous literary example of this occurs in Alfred Bester’s The Stars My Destination. – tchrist Nov 18 '12 at 17:43
There is a word for this, and I know I've encountered it in the past, but it's not coming to me. I've been mining my OED for some reference to it, but thus far this word eludes me. I'll come back if I find it. – Zahhar Nov 18 '12 at 23:15

Maybe you can call it Emphasis?

share|improve this answer

To me, these are like interjected stage directions but there are a couple words people use to describe embedding actions or emotions in text.

When in the first person, they are typically called "emotes". Elsewhere, they are more likely to be called "inflectives". Perhaps there is a better word that can capture the more kinesic meaning a sentence can be given.

share|improve this answer
Doesn't emote refer to acting and the spoken word rather than written language? – 5arx Nov 24 '12 at 11:28
@5arx Yes, that is the classical definition. The age of internet chat has morphed it a bit. – Sean Cline Nov 24 '12 at 16:24

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.