English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The only word I found is descendant but this is often used for people, and I want to use the word for objects. Is there an adjective or alternative I can use if I want to say sent down, brought down as an adjective? It seems the word descended does not exist.

share|improve this question
Can you construct a sentence where the word would go? – Matt E. Эллен Nov 14 '12 at 21:41
Look for phrases like "descended testicle(s)" and "undescended testicle(s)" (cryptorchidism) and you'll find the adjective you're seeking. – user21497 Nov 14 '12 at 21:57

OP shouldn't worry about the fact that descendant is often used of people. That Wikipedia disambiguation page lists several alternatives, of which the last two may match OP's context.

Google gives a lot of hits for "a descendant class", few of which involve people.

Plus, as Bill comments, a descended [testicle/larynx/god/etc.] is perfectly normal English.

For OP's context (things which have been sent/brought down), perhaps lowered would suit.

The semantic differences there are mainly that a descendant normally derives from a "parent". Things which are descended usually got there by themselves (or by accident), whereas if something is lowered, this normally implies that someone (or something) actively caused it to go down.

We don't really have OP's full context, but as Andrew comments below, floored sometimes works. As do felled, downcast, saddened, ousted, humbled, in various related contexts.

share|improve this answer
I'm not convinced. Descended generally means that the object has come down of its own accord or through natural process, not that it has been sent down or brought down by something else acting upon it -- which is what the OP asks about. – Andrew Leach Nov 14 '12 at 22:23
@Andrew Leach: Fair enough - I'll add an alternative. – FumbleFingers Nov 14 '12 at 22:34
+1 again. It's just occurred to me that floored might also be applicable to some uses of "brought down". – Andrew Leach Nov 14 '12 at 22:48

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.