Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the adverb form of gullible? I tried using gullibly but it apparently isn't a word. Is it one of those adjectives that simply don't have an adequate adverb?

share|improve this question
Context, please. What paragraph were you needing it for, and where had you intended to put it? Grammar is about constructions, not labels. –  John Lawler Nov 11 '12 at 17:34
What makes you think it isn't a word? –  StoneyB Nov 11 '12 at 17:36
firefox spellchecker –  amphibient Nov 11 '12 at 17:37
You asked a question here based on one spellchecker? How gullible! You need to expand your horizons... –  J.R. Nov 11 '12 at 17:40
I think the standard "leg-pull" is "Did you know the word 'gullible' isn't in the dictionary?". But I note that contrafibularities has actually made it into urban dictionary, at least. –  FumbleFingers Nov 11 '12 at 18:17
show 3 more comments

closed as general reference by FumbleFingers, J.R., StoneyB, tchrist, Andrew Leach Nov 11 '12 at 18:12

This question is too basic; it can be definitively and permanently answered by a single link to a standard internet reference source designed specifically to find that type of information.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

1 Answer

Gullibly is indeed the adverb form of gullible.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.