English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A T has eight corners. Six of these point outwards and two (the armpit) corners face inwards. In reference to a building, what is the term to describe the inward corners?

The closest I've come up with is the Axilla corners or Oxter corner but I can find no reference to those two terms ever being used outside of medicine.

share|improve this question

closed as too localized by Kris, Andrew Leach, tchrist, jwpat7, MετάEd Nov 12 '12 at 5:40

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

These are called inside corners. – Jim Nov 11 '12 at 6:15
I think that in this case inside is too ambiguous, since I am referring to the exterior of a building. – user23679 Nov 11 '12 at 6:17
Think what you will, the term is inside corner and has nothing to do with whether the corner is on the exterior or interior of a building. – Jim Nov 11 '12 at 6:19
It is inside corner. Google Images are a good source of independent confirmation, if you need it. google.co.uk/search?q=inside+corner&tbm=isch – Andrew Leach Nov 11 '12 at 8:58
Convex and concave? – lockstock Nov 11 '12 at 9:43

You can use the term obtuse corner.

share|improve this answer
You might do, but obtuse refers to angles between 90 and 180 degrees. Most corners are right-angles. – Andrew Leach Nov 11 '12 at 15:32
A corroborating link would help this answer's cause. – coleopterist Nov 11 '12 at 18:14
Yeah, the corners of the Pentagon building are obtuse (insert obvious joke about its inhabitants) but that's not what the OP was asking. – Malvolio Nov 11 '12 at 19:17

The least ambiguous but generally understandable I can think of is "concave" (inner) and "convex" (outer).

share|improve this answer

There are external and internal corner beads to finish (internal) plaster joins. Same terms are used by architects.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.