English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

As it pertains to a dress shirt, which is the correct usage or do these terms have different meanings?

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by tchrist, MετάEd, Marthaª, Mark Beadles, Andrew Leach Nov 8 '12 at 12:19

Questions on English Language & Usage Stack Exchange are expected to relate to English language and usage within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Do any of these references help? google.co.uk/…; – Andrew Leach Nov 7 '12 at 16:24
What is the purpose of Stack Exchange if not to be an authority on questions like this? – user30537 Nov 7 '12 at 16:33
It's an authority on what can't be conclusively answered elsewhere. You haven't even shown that you've done any research whatsoever. – Andrew Leach Nov 7 '12 at 16:36
To elaborate on Andrew's comment, English.SE is for expert-level Q&A. We would love you to join the ELL proposal which is intended to help English language learners. – MετάEd Nov 7 '12 at 18:12
up vote 6 down vote accepted

You button up a shirt and button down its collar if it comes with a button-down collar.

share|improve this answer
+1 Button-down shirt is frequently misused to mean any shirt with buttons to close it in the front - coleopterist has it right here in that button-down is specifically shirts that have buttons on the points of the collar. – Marcus_33 Nov 7 '12 at 16:34

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.