English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I wanted to convey that a university degree is true and valid, but I am not sure if the word "established" can be used for the degree itself.

  1. Any suggestions on which words I can use to convey that same meaning for a "degree"?

  2. Can I check if it is the word "established" can be used for an educational program?

share|improve this question
Degrees are awarded or conferred. A degree may also be termed a credential, but that is a broader term. – Robusto Nov 7 '12 at 15:03
@Robusto: I believe this is about confirming reputation, value and validity of a degree (vs junk diplomas from fake schools). – SF. Nov 7 '12 at 15:08
Yes SF! That is what I'm trying to say! – Karen Nov 7 '12 at 15:18
Is it lack of trust of the degree itself, or lack of trust about the institution? 'Accredited' is what is used for a university or program. For the degree itself, that's sort of a strange thing to doubt the degree. – Mitch Nov 7 '12 at 15:41
@Mitch Well, actually I am doing a comparison between online degrees and classroom-style traditional degrees – Karen Nov 7 '12 at 15:47
up vote 4 down vote accepted

I don't think claiming a PhD is an established degree will convey any valuable information to the reader.

I believe the words you're looking for are recognized, reputable, prestigious. You may also pick nouns that are directly related to degrees: Graduates, diplomas.

share|improve this answer
Thank you so much! That's what I'm looking for! – Karen Nov 7 '12 at 15:20
@Karen if you like this answer, please vote it up, and consider clicking the checkmark icon to accept it. – Mr. Shiny and New 安宇 Nov 7 '12 at 15:21
@Mr.ShinyandNew安宇 Done! Thank you! – Karen Nov 7 '12 at 15:28
@Karen Thank you and welcome to english.stackexchange.com – Mr. Shiny and New 安宇 Nov 7 '12 at 16:01

You can establish the validity or legitimacy of a degree. You can also state that a degree is authentic, legitimate, genuine or bonafide. You can also use similar adjectives to describe the institution which conferred the degree.

You can find related synonyms in a thesaurus.

share|improve this answer

I like a word you suggested, true.

She received a true degree in 1999.

Although I don't know if that is making a strong statement than the simpler:

She received a degree in 1999.

If you represent the university, then perhaps

We confirm (authenticate) that she received a degree in 1999.

As to the second part of your question, establish is a fine word to use, as in

UNC established the Mathematical Finance graduate degree in 2002.

You might also say,

UNC first conferred the Mathematical Finance graduate degree in 2004.

If the emphasis is on what a third-party has established about the program, then you might say,

The M.A. in Counseling was accredited in 2006.

If these answers don't suffice, then perhaps the beta site, academics.stackexchange.com, might be of help.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.