English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there another word besides "pass" that more accurately specifies the act of two vehicles going past each other in opposite directions, as opposed to overtaking a vehicle going the same direction?

I want to be able unambiguously to explain right-of-way to bicyclists who insist I move to the far edge when I'm walking against the traffic.

share|improve this question
If you want to unambiguously explain your right of way to bicyclists, just do what Dustin Hoffman did in Midnight Cowboy: slam your hand on the front of their vehicle and yell, "Hey! I'm walkin' here!" – Robusto Nov 1 '12 at 20:50
up vote 4 down vote accepted

You are referring to the act of passing oncoming traffic.

  • The bicyclist shall pass oncoming traffic on the far right.
  • The car almost hit oncoming traffic by moving too close to the center line.
share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.