English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've been trying to find a word for this concept and not had any luck in dictionaries or on Google.

If a part of a nation or state decides to separate from the whole, it secedes. Is there a term for a nation or state booting part of itself out? For a (purely hypothetical) example, if Canada decided it no longer wished to govern British Columbia and rescinded its sovereignty claims, what would that be called?

I thought of expulsion or renunciation but those are more general terms.

share|improve this question
Interesting, but no state/nation has a constitution that provides for this system. However, if anything, I think "abandon" can function, e.g. "Canada abandoned British Columbia." – user19148 Oct 31 '12 at 21:08
up vote 8 down vote accepted

It is a rare event.

The events in 1965 when Singapore left Malaysia have been called expulsion, separation and independence, depending on on whose history book you read.

If you want to stress that it was involuntary, then expulsion looks like the best word.

share|improve this answer
I think it was an amicable divorce between the Czech republic and Slovakia. – Mitch Oct 31 '12 at 21:54
+1 Also see: expulsion from the EU. – coleopterist Nov 1 '12 at 6:05
That's an excellent example! I didn't realize it had actually happened in the modern world. The wiki page also has a linked article that refers to Singapore's forced independence as "ejection". – Marcus_33 Nov 1 '12 at 13:35


a forced sundering.

I first came across it in a translation of Hegel. The original German is, Entzweiung - or, split.

From the Latin, it appears to be used transitively - thus its pertinence. The state, or the self, for Hegel, dirempts itself and cleaves a withered portion away.

share|improve this answer
Although this word could fit the bill, it is now rarely used and few would understand it without a glance in the dictionary. – American Luke Nov 5 '12 at 12:57

According to Wikipedia, West Virginia broke away in turn from seceding Virginia during the Civil War, thereby "seceding from secession."

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.