English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the verb for removing spaces from a sentence? Is it de-space?

share|improve this question
To the two close voters: This question is clear and concise. Neither is it vague nor overly broad. – coleopterist Oct 29 '12 at 15:38

I don't believe there is a specific word for removing spaces from a sentence. Typically in programming, we would just call it "removing whitespace." I like "de-spacing" though :)

@ajacian81 Isn't trimming specific to removing whitespace from the beginning or end of a string?

share|improve this answer
You are correct... it never even occurred to me that the asker wanted to remove ALL white space from a sentence. Who does that? – ajacian81 Oct 29 '12 at 3:17
Evidently the OP does. I agree it's not a common task, which probably accounts for the lack of a dedicated verb :) – Jeremy Oct 29 '12 at 3:18
Yeah... I think I'm out of my league.. let me just go back to my programming sites :) – ajacian81 Oct 29 '12 at 3:19

In computer terms at least, it's called trimming.

share|improve this answer
Yea, as long as the spaces are at the end. – Ataraxia Oct 29 '12 at 3:12
If whitespaces inside the string are removed, then it's "normalization". – David Schwartz Oct 29 '12 at 10:17
@DavidSchwartz No. normalization is different from this. See the reference you cited. – Kris Oct 29 '12 at 11:49

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.