Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the term for an image created out of words? E.g. a picture of a tree created out of the word 'tree' for the branches and leaves etc.

It's usually created out of the name of the subject which it depicts. Children do this 'word image' exercise a lot at school.

share|improve this question
There's a rebus (narrative that uses images in place of words) and a wordle which is an image made out of words. Neither are what you want. Do children do what you are describing in school? It sounds difficult, and not necessarily educational, but that's just me. –  Ellie Kesselman Oct 28 '12 at 12:11
By now I'm used to calling it a calligram. Google images has quite a few interesting ones, if you want to take a look. –  Autoresponder Oct 28 '12 at 12:13
Calligram! That's the one, thank you. –  Liksoso Oct 28 '12 at 12:15
@Autoresponder why not post that as an answer? –  Cameron Oct 28 '12 at 17:01
FYI, there's also ASCII art. –  coleopterist Oct 28 '12 at 17:49

1 Answer 1

A calligram is an image formed by treating typography as brush strokes. Frequently, the typeset word is repeated, and/or typographic elements such as serifs, stems, etc. are rendered stylistically so as to visually depict what it describes. A famous calligram (created in an ad agency a few years ago) used two words to create a superbly impactful ad featuring the face of Osama bin laden.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.