English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Image source: http://neozeitgeist.tumblr.com/post/15761145451/hope-you-all-are-aware-that-for-my-life-being

enter image description here

enter image description here

Do these parts of the cheeks/face have a name? If not, how would you describe a florid face where these areas have gone especially red?

N.B. I'm trying to describe a drunk rather than a cute child.

share|improve this question
To me, the circled areas are what I normally mean by cheeks. Underlying them are the cheekbones, where "high cheekbones" indicates that the "raised" part of the cheek is nearer the eyes than the mouth. – FumbleFingers Oct 23 '12 at 16:33
I'd call them erythematous: abnormally red because of capillary congestion (as in inflammation). – user21497 Oct 24 '12 at 1:16
up vote 10 down vote accepted

They are called the apples of the cheeks.

share|improve this answer
Aha! Thanks. That's perfect. – coleopterist Oct 23 '12 at 16:43

Are you trying to say he has "rosy cheeks"?

share|improve this answer
The cheeks appears to cover a lot more area than just the bits outlined in the image. Also, I'm trying to describe a drunk; rosy cheeks and prominent cheekbones are too complimentary IMO. – coleopterist Oct 23 '12 at 16:38
@coleopterist: In your context, you'd probably be better off describing the drunk as having a "red-veined nose". That would convey unhealthy, damaged without the positive connotations of red/rosy cheeks. – FumbleFingers Oct 23 '12 at 16:48
@FumbleFingers Thanks. I haven't come across that term before. I'm currently going with cauliflower nose. – coleopterist Oct 23 '12 at 16:54
@coleopterist: you may want to post another question for the nose (or research it some more). Cauliflower nose refers specifically to shape, not color. – Marthaª Oct 23 '12 at 17:36
@coleopterist: Also I see cauliflower nose can be the medical condition Rhinophyma (also called bulb nose)... often called alcohol nose in the vernacular and related incorrectly to excessive alcohol consumption. – FumbleFingers Oct 23 '12 at 17:59

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.