English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want a substitute for the sentence "The thought came to my mind". It should be a slightly formal substitute as I am writing a formal letter. Can someone help me with that?

share|improve this question

closed as general reference by MετάEd, RegDwigнt Oct 23 '12 at 8:49

This question is too basic; it can be definitively and permanently answered by a single link to a standard internet reference source designed specifically to find that type of information.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

up vote 2 down vote accepted

If it was a good thought, you could use inspired.

I was inspired to...

share|improve this answer
Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. – Rajath Oct 25 '12 at 5:19

oc·cur intransitive verb \ə-ˈkər\ (merriam-webster)

3 : to come to mind
"an idea that has occurred to me"

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.