English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm aware of several species of "giant" insects, such as the Meganeura (giant dragonfly) and the Arthropleura (giant centipede) — but I was wondering if anyone knew of a loose term similar to megafauna/megaflora that described large insects... Megainsecta?

share|improve this question
Insects are six-legged arthropods, so maybe you could say "mega-arthropod." (The arthropod phylum also includes arachnids [spiders] and crustaceans [crabs, lobsters, etc.].) – JLG Oct 23 '12 at 3:32
Not just language, certainly not limited to the English language at all, the answer would fall properly in the domain of taxonomy. Note that taxonomy is a science in its own right. – Kris Oct 23 '12 at 5:16
Don’t know how tell you this, but insects happen to be animals. So the answer is still megafauna. – tchrist Oct 23 '12 at 11:47

Flora and fauna are Latin terms that we currently use to represent plants and wildlife.

The Latin word for insect is insectum (borrowed from a Greek word that meant "to cut into sections"). So my guess would be Megainsectum.

share|improve this answer
+1 As a family/ higher level, it would be the plural megainsect a, though. – Kris Oct 23 '12 at 10:02

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.