Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sometimes when I see a good article on the internet, I want to keep a copy of it on my own blog. I need one word to tell visitors that this article was taken/copied from somewhere else.

It is usually used in the meta data:

Posted by: Author
Posted on: Sep 2, 2012
Tags: music, rock n' roll
xxxxxxx from: Billboard
this word

And if without the word from, is source a good choice for this?

Source: Billboard


share|improve this question

closed as too localized by RegDwigнt Oct 21 '12 at 17:47

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Don't. You're probably safe downloading a copy for your own use, but republication without specific permission may be a violation of copyright. Post a link to it, instead. MLA's standard for attribution when you quote seems apropos: "Retrieved from Billboard, date". If the link goes dead this tells your readers that it's not your fault it's no longer accessible, and you're no longer posting something Billboard has, for whatever reason, withdrawn from publication. –  StoneyB Oct 21 '12 at 17:39
OK, for this specific question, let's just assume that I'v been given the permission. On my blog, there IS a link provided, but I still need a word for that. I can't just display Billboard (with link) among other meta data. So your suggestion is retrieved? It doesn't sound quite appropriate for me. –  user1643156 Oct 21 '12 at 17:50
Generally speaking, taken, copied, reposted, stolen, copypasted, plagiarized, or any synonym will do. However, since it's meta data, then it either has to comply to some standard — in which case you just use what the standard says you should use —, or you're inventing a standard for yourself — in which case anybody's guess is as good as yours, and as far as the English language is concerned, you can call that field Susan. –  RegDwigнt Oct 21 '12 at 17:52
Can't believe this question is closed. There are so many non-English speaking bloggers out there using a English version blog system. They might be doing the same thing and need that word for such an action.... –  user1643156 Oct 21 '12 at 17:53
@Susan taken, copied, copypasted are acceptable, stolen and plagiarized.... I thought these two words are for something taken without being known/told by/to anyone... –  user1643156 Oct 21 '12 at 17:57

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.