English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have architectural drawings that contains numerous instances of intersecting walls that form a 'T' shape. To state the obvious, a capital 'T' has two parts:

  1. the top line
  2. a vertical line that buts up against the T's top

What might each of these two connected walls or segments be called?

I am asking for word suggestions. The words may or may not be math-based. Short words (short number of characters) that most people understand are preferred over obscure words that few people understand.

Edit: I'm currently using 'T-Top' for one. That's okay I guess, but I couldn't think of anything short for the vertical piece.

share|improve this question
In typography, it seems the vertical line is a stem and the horizontal line is an arm. Probably not good terms in your case, though. – Henrik N Oct 20 '12 at 18:33
up vote 5 down vote accepted

If you like your 'T-Top' you could use 'T-Shaft' or 'T-Leg'.

Shaft or column and capital or cap or lintel would describe the joint in terms of the T and keep it in the architectural domain—but it might create confusion with vertical elements.

If the wall which constitutes the horizontal of the T is the primary load-bearer, you might write of a main and an intersecting or butted or abutting wall—or a mainwall and a buttwall.

If the wall which constitutes the vertical of the T is primary, you might write of a main(wall) and a crosswall or crossing wall.

Or it might be best to consult an architect for appropriate terms of art.

share|improve this answer
+1 I think the main or continuous wall and the abutting or intersecting wall are very good choices. – Jim Oct 20 '12 at 20:08

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.