Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there a word to describe having good command of the English language? The kind of word that could be listed as an attribute?

share|improve this question
General Reference - fluent, articulate, eloquent etc. –  FumbleFingers Oct 19 '12 at 20:22
Doh... brain fart I guess. –  defaye Oct 19 '12 at 20:23
@FumbleFingers: Not exactly the easiest thing to Google, unless you already know the words. –  Robert Harvey Oct 19 '12 at 20:24
Yes, maybe this is a poor question or a poorly phrased one, but I disagree with the fact that that is general reference, –  user19148 Oct 19 '12 at 20:39
@FumbleFingers Actually, due to divine intervention, the ELL proposal has been re-opened. –  tchrist Oct 19 '12 at 22:15
show 2 more comments

closed as general reference by MετάEd, FumbleFingers, cornbread ninja 麵包忍者, Rory Alsop, Zairja Oct 19 '12 at 20:37

This question is too basic; it can be definitively and permanently answered by a single link to a standard internet reference source designed specifically to find that type of information.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

2 Answers

There is not a unique word to describe this. If the person only has a good command of English, the simplest is "functional in English". If that is not strong enough, go with "fluent".

share|improve this answer
add comment

Have you already thought to "mastery" ("n. Full command of a subject of study: Her mastery of economic theory impressed the professors. n. Expert knowledge or skill; power of using or exercising; dexterity: as, the mastery of an art or science.")?

Reading the above definitions, it seems you could say something like this: "Do you have mastery of English language?" or "Her mastery of English language impressed the professors."

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.