English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
If I attain a Master’s degree, how do I refer to myself?

I am writing a Personal Statement on a CV and a lot of the samples have 'Graduate with experience in...' this, I believe, implies a BA or similar level of degree. What do you put when referring to a Masters Degree?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Mark Beadles, MετάEd, StoneyB, tchrist, Monica Cellio Oct 22 '12 at 13:02

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

If it is the CV, better to avoid 'Graduate' altogether -- it means different things to different people (in different places). Say Bachelors (Degree) / Masters (Degree) to be clear. – Kris Oct 20 '12 at 8:08
Visit ESL area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/41665/… – Kris Oct 20 '12 at 8:09

There area couple of options:

  • It's quite common to say "I have a masters [degree] in XYZ" for an M.A. or M.S., with the "degree" being optional.

  • For more specific degrees like an MBA or an MFA (periods optional in those), you would refer to the degree itself, "I have an MBA from Hahvard."

  • You can also use the degree abbreviation, M.A. or M.S: "I have an M.A. in English from Hogwarts State University."

  • For more formality, use the full title: "I have a Master of Arts degree from FooBar University."

Note that it's capitalized when you are referring to the specific degree, but not when you are referring to it generically. So, "I have a Master of Arts degree" but "I have a master's degree".

share|improve this answer

You may simply call yourself a Master of Arts (or of Sciences, or of Social Work, etc.) with experience in...etc.


share|improve this answer

In British English, we often use the word, Postgraduate, to describe someone who is studying at a university to get a Master's Degree or a PhD.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.