English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm in search of the word that describes the strong referendum that a candidate receives upon a strong election win that grants him or her vast leeway in enacting policy reform. I can't quite get it; referendum is close, but I believe that there's a more specific word for this, perhaps 3-4 syllables and starting with a 'c'.

share|improve this question

closed as general reference by FumbleFingers, Kate Gregory, MετάEd, StoneyB, Cameron Oct 17 '12 at 5:06

This question is too basic; it can be definitively and permanently answered by a single link to a standard internet reference source designed specifically to find that type of information.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

General Reference. Any competent native speaker would expect the word mandate at the end of the question, and see the glaring misuse of referendum as indicating poor knowledge of English political terminology. – FumbleFingers Oct 17 '12 at 3:35
Sometimes even teenagers (I have no idea how old Matt B. is or whether he's a native speaker of English) have "senior moments" where they forget such obvious and common terms. It used to happen to me all the time. Still does. :-( – user21497 Oct 17 '12 at 4:35
But if the asker doesn't know or doesn't remember the word "mandate", how is he supposed to look it up in a general reference? If he knew the word but had questions about the definition, he could look it up in a dictionary, but the reverse process is much tougher. – Jay Oct 17 '12 at 5:12

I don’t know what you mean there by referendum — that isn’t how I use that word — but you might be looking for the rather overused mandate.

share|improve this answer
Yes! Mandate. Thank you. – Matt B. Oct 17 '12 at 3:32

If a candidate wins in a landslide (by a large margin "a : a great majority of votes for one side; b : an overwhelming victory"), then he or she has what is called a mandate ("an authorization to act: He won the election so convincingly that he believed he had been given a mandate for change.)

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.