English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Different word or phrases to describe the way the way women tie up their hair in a bundle on top of their head.

share|improve this question

closed as not a real question by simchona Oct 14 '12 at 20:08

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Like a bun? Braids? Do you have a picture? – Kit Z. Fox Oct 14 '12 at 20:03
Here's one of many sites with a non-exhaustive list of hairstyles with pictures. – coleopterist Oct 14 '12 at 20:06
I do not agree with the fact that this question is a not real one, but your phrasing is terrible also for a not native, uncompetent of English language. -1 – user19148 Oct 14 '12 at 20:33
up vote 0 down vote accepted

coiffure - a person's hairstyle, typically an elaborate one covers all styles.

bun - a woman's hairstyle where the hair is brought together into a round shape at the back of the head is OP's specific one.

You can speak of a high top bun if you think the difference between back/top of the head is significant.

Or there's the beehive hairstyle, but I'll spare you Amy Winehouse - here's a less extreme one...

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.