English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have googled but didn't find. "A person who gets interested in anything very quickly and loses interest in it sooner." What is such a person called?

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

Not necessarily a butterfly mind, but just a butterfly.

butterfly (The Free Dictionary):

2. a person who never settles with one group, interest, or occupation for long

butterfly (MW dictionary):

2 : something that resembles or suggests a butterfly; especially : a person chiefly occupied with the pursuit of pleasure

butterfly (dictionary)

2 a person who flits aimlessly from one interest or group to another: a social butterfly

share|improve this answer

Such a person is often described as having a butterfly mind.

share|improve this answer
If possible, please add a corroborating link. – coleopterist Oct 14 '12 at 19:15
Here are hundreds of butterfly minds, and I doubt many of them are actually inside a butterfly's head. – FumbleFingers Oct 14 '12 at 20:34

One might describe such a person as a dilettante, in the first sense:-

a person who takes up an art, activity, or subject merely for amusement, especially in a desultory or superficial way; dabbler.

share|improve this answer
I don't think being a dilettante necessarily implies you'll quickly lose interest - I've been a magical dilletante since I was a kid doesn't seem "odd" to me. – FumbleFingers Oct 14 '12 at 20:38

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.