English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There is a ton of words with similar, yet slightly different meaning that describe this kind of physical affection where we touch a loved one. What is the difference between cuddle, snuggle and huggle? What else is commonly used in this context?

share|improve this question
None of your business how I touch my loved ones! – Robusto Jan 12 '11 at 21:47
Then, there's also nuggle! – Jimi Oke Jan 13 '11 at 4:28
And of course, fondle! – Jimi Oke Jan 13 '11 at 4:28
You can also give affectionate squeezes! I'll give a full answer later! – Jimi Oke Jan 13 '11 at 4:29

I've never heard "huggle" before...that may be a regional usage. I'd say cuddle and snuggle are roughly equivalent, though "snuggle" seems to me to have a connotation of places your faces together, in particular.

I would say that I cuddle my children.

share|improve this answer
Huggle is derived from hug + cuddle/snuggle. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huggle – Jimi Oke Jan 13 '11 at 2:04

I've never heard of huggle before, as well. To my knowledge, cuddle and snuggle both mean a prolonged and affectionate hug, but cuddle can be used regardless of the person/people involved whereas snuggle is more passionate and intimate insofar as it's what you'd do with your significant other.

share|improve this answer
Unfortunately, snuggle can also be used without another person present, such as "snuggle under the covers", while cuddle (as far as I know) always implies the a person or the proxy of a person: "She cuddled her teddy bear". – WhatRoughBeast Feb 28 '15 at 19:31

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.