English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Sometimes we see the adjective "missing" used before nouns and sometimes after nouns. What is the difference in usage in this regard? For example:

  • There is a missing page in the book.
  • There is a page missing in this book.

What is the difference between these sentences?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

The grammatical difference is that, in the first, missing is an adjective, but, in the second, it is a non-finite verb. There is little if any semantic difference, but it is possible that in some contexts a writer might decide that one is more appropriate than the other.

Those of a logical turn of mind might insist that a page that is missing cannot actually be IN a book, and that the only way of expressing the idea is to write ‘There is a page missing FROM this book.’

share|improve this answer
Might not the first example imply that a page, missing from some other book, is caught in this book? – TimLymington Oct 13 '12 at 11:31
It might, but I can't say I've ever found one. – Barrie England Oct 13 '12 at 11:51

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.