English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a word for the quality of something "holding up well over time"?

For example, some blockbusters from years past have special effects that are still fairly good when compared to today's movies.

I would also consider the term when referring to classical works such as Shakespeare, etc.

share|improve this question
up vote 8 down vote accepted

Depending on whether it is a physical item or not, you might look at durable and enduring respectively. Things like Shakespeare can also be said to have a lasting effect on the culture.

share|improve this answer
When speaking of physical objects, we often say "durable". Like, "This car has lasted me for 20 years because it was built to be durable." I've never heard that word used for something like a book or movie that has survived the test of time. "Enduring" is commonly used there. – Jay Oct 12 '12 at 14:33

Consider the following:

wears well
holds up
has legs

share|improve this answer

You can refer to such films and other art works as classic:

a : serving as a standard of excellence : of recognized value
b : traditional, enduring

For example, "Blade Runner is a classic sci-fi film."

share|improve this answer
+1 for good taste in films, but the OP already used 'classic'! ~ "I would also consider the term when referring to classical works such as Shakespeare" – Roaring Fish Oct 12 '12 at 14:36

Indeed, for art or literature, "enduring" or "classic" or even "enduring classic" works well.

For tangible objects, "well-used" conveys the idea.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.