English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the English word / phrase for things / persons that are experimented on? I think of experimentee but I believe there may be more common words.

share|improve this question

closed as general reference by FumbleFingers, Robusto, Cameron, MετάEd, ghoppe Oct 12 '12 at 19:06

This question is too basic; it can be definitively and permanently answered by a single link to a standard internet reference source designed specifically to find that type of information.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

You're probably thinking of the subject [of the experiment]. If so, I think that's General Reference. – FumbleFingers Oct 12 '12 at 0:04
Perhaps the subject? – J.R. Oct 12 '12 at 0:04
up vote 10 down vote accepted

Subject (or research subject) may be the most common one. Guinea pig for unwitting subjects, or subjects unethically treated.

In psychological experiments a confederate is a study assistant that interacts with the subject but whom the subject believes is not involved in any such capacity. Typically subjects are led to believe that confederates are also subjects.

share|improve this answer
Participant is being pushed as a replacement for subject. – emory Oct 12 '12 at 2:22
see the APA on subjects versus participants: apastyle.org/learn/faqs/subjects-and-participants.aspx – Jeromy Anglim Oct 12 '12 at 5:12
@emory Some reference would be nice. – Kris Oct 12 '12 at 6:09
Note that "guinea pig" is also permitted when the subjects are in fact guinea pigs. – lonesomeday Oct 12 '12 at 8:08

The thing you conduct your experiment on is its subject.

share|improve this answer
I've written a few research protocols for human subjects. – Fuhrmanator Oct 12 '12 at 0:07
Thing, or as in the present case, a person or any animate object. – Kris Oct 12 '12 at 6:10

Human subjects

"The United States Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) defines a human research subject as a living individual about whom a research investigator (whether a professional or a student) obtains data through 1) intervention or interaction with the individual, or 2) identifiable private information (32 CFR 219.102.f). (Lim,1990)"

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.