Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Possible Duplicate:
When is “L” doubled?

If I am using the word model in the context of financial models and the UK, then which of these words should I use? Also, are there any key difference in the meanings of the two?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by FumbleFingers, RegDwigнt Oct 9 '12 at 22:30

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

There is no difference in meaning. The single-L spelling is more common in the United States; the double-L spelling is more common in the United Kingdom, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand. I don't know which is more common in other countries.

More detail is available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences#Doubled_in_British_English

share|improve this answer
programmed, programming and programmer ? Do these three seriously exist with a single M? –  user16269 Oct 9 '12 at 21:28

No, there is no difference between them. Modelling is the more common spelling in the UK, while modeling is the more common spelling in the US. Canada tends to use modelling, as do some Americans.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.