English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This type of communication frequently leaves the 'g' off the end of words. "Talking" becomes "talkin'".

Also, it combines certain small phrases into one. "What's that?" becomes "Wuzzat?"

The best example I can think of would be the comic book characters Nick Fury and Howard the Duck who speak like this in the comics.

share|improve this question

closed as not constructive by tchrist, MετάEd, StoneyB, Noah, RegDwigнt Oct 2 '12 at 9:27

As it currently stands, this question is not a good fit for our Q&A format. We expect answers to be supported by facts, references, or expertise, but this question will likely solicit debate, arguments, polling, or extended discussion. If you feel that this question can be improved and possibly reopened, visit the help center for guidance.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Probably AAVE but there isn't much to go on in the question. – Andrew Leach Sep 28 '12 at 14:01
What's wrong with just "street" or "street-talk". I've heard them said before. – Urbycoz Sep 28 '12 at 14:58
There's slang, there are street, colloquial, teen lingo, ... and there's even the beautiful rustic. No one-size-fits term would be nice here. – Kris Sep 28 '12 at 14:58
I don't agree with calling this unintelligent in any sense at all. – Kris Sep 28 '12 at 14:59
In support of Kris's comment, here's what the leading British linguist David Crystal has said on this subject: ‘There is of course no correlation whatever between the sound of a language or dialect and the level of intelligence or sociability of its speakers. The only reason we might think otherwise is because for generations people were told so by their – for want of a better word – "betters".’ – Barrie England Sep 28 '12 at 16:04

I think I would put this in the category of colloquial speech:


  1. Characteristic of or appropriate to the spoken language or to writing that seeks the effect of speech; informal.
  2. Relating to conversation; conversational.

Individual instances of this, "Whazzup?" for example, would be called colloquialisms.

share|improve this answer

Depending on whether you want to be disparaging, neutral, or approving, you could refer to this as sloppy/slurred, casual/colloquial/familiar/informal , or natural/formal/careful speech.

share|improve this answer

The term vernacular might fit here. Merriam-Webster's entry says:

a: using a language or dialect native to a region or country rather than a literary, cultured, or foreign language

b: of, relating to, or being a nonstandard language or dialect of a place, region, or country

It is elsewhere defined as:

a. The everyday language spoken by a people as distinguished from the literary language. See Synonyms at dialect.

b. A variety of such everyday language specific to a social group or region: the vernaculars of New York City.

share|improve this answer

'Basilect' might be what you are looking for. From OED:

basilect, n.

Pronunciation: /ˈbæsɪlɛkt/

In a post-creole community, the social dialect that is most closely related to the creole and furthest removed from the standard language; also, the least prestigious or ‘lowest’ variety of any language.

share|improve this answer

"Ghetto" also comes to mind. (@FumbleFingers)

share|improve this answer
If you're an awful person. – Evan Harper Sep 30 '12 at 15:20

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.