English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have often heard people use the word "paramount" to mean "the most important", which I think is correct usage.

However, I have also heard them use "parmountacy" or "paramountcy".

e.g. The changes we are making establishes the paramountacy of international law in these cases.

I am wondering if there is such a word as "paramountacy"?

share|improve this question

closed as general reference by waiwai933 Sep 27 '12 at 23:04

This question is too basic; it can be definitively and permanently answered by a single link to a standard internet reference source designed specifically to find that type of information.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

This question can be improved by adding the results of your own research. That is basic site etiquette. A good starting point is OneLook, which will check many dictionaries for the word in question. You may find onelook.com/?w=paramountcy&ls=a and onelook.com/?w=paramountacy&ls=a helpful. – MετάEd Sep 27 '12 at 22:21

The OED recognizes both paramountship and paramountcy (going back to the 17th century), but not paramountacy, which would be an irregular, not to say peculiar formation (which does not, of course, mean it can't be created). You say you 'heard' the word; might it be an unusual pronunciation of paramountcy?

share|improve this answer
I think more likely OP has either misheard or he's listening to people thinking of/trying to say preeminency. Not a word I like much (plain pre-eminence seems fine to me), but it is used. – FumbleFingers Sep 27 '12 at 23:03

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.