English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Let's say I have already published a book. Now, on the website for this book, I want to post additional documents, numbered like 1, 2, .... What word is best to use to describe each of these documents?

Would "Addendum" work? Like "Addendum 1", "Addendum 2", or is Addendum more for things at the end of the book itself?

Feel free to suggest other words. I suppose "Supplement" is another alternative.

share|improve this question
They're both OK. So's "Appendix". There's no real distinction between them. – StoneyB Sep 22 '12 at 17:54
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Both of your ideas, "addendum" and "supplement", are perfect.

[…] is Addendum more for things at the end of the book itself?

It can be, but its original and core meaning is "thing to be added", so it somewhat implies that something should have been part of the original work. As a result, it's more often used for things that aren't part of the original work. (This implication has decreased over time, so I wouldn't consider it wrong to include an "addendum" at the end of a work, but it's still 100% absolutely correct to use "addendum" to refer to something completely separate that adds to a work.)

share|improve this answer

The already-mentioned addendum (“Something to be added; especially text added as an appendix or supplement to a document”) and supplement (“An extension to a document or publication that adds information, corrects errors or brings up to date”) may serve. I'm inclined against appendix (“...a text added to the end of a book or an article, containing information that is important to but is not the main idea of the main text”); I think that in practice appendices usually are mentioned already in the main text, (and are used to explain details of less-general interest) vs being an addendum or supplement that may be of general interest.

If the web-page add-ons are primarily corrections, you may refer to them as errata (“An added page in a printed work where errors which are discovered after printing and their corrections are listed; corrigenda”) or corrigenda (“A list of errors in a printed work as a separate page of corrections, known as an errata page”) or possibly corrigendum.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.