I'm looking for ways to simplify a document for better comprehension after I have already gone through an editing process myself. It could include suggestions easier synonyms, grammar optimization (adding commas or rearranging sentences), or plain language in general. I've only found a few resources:
Okapi This highlights difficult words according word whitelist from Spache (Grade 1-3) and Dale-Chall (Grade 4 & up). It can only handle 200 words at a time.
Microsoft Word can provide Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score (0-100) and Reading Level (about school grade) after doing a SpellCheck if you have enabled this option in preferences.
I know that software, algorithms, and automation will never quite accomplish everything, like finding for example:
- How complex the ideas are
- Whether or not the content is in a logical order
- Whether the vocabulary is appropriate for the audience
- Whether there is a gender, class or cultural bias
- Whether the design is attractive and helps or hinders the reader
- Whether the material appears in a form and type style that is easy or hard to read [ from http://plainlanguage.com/newreadability.html ]
But are there tools other than those in Microsoft Word, a thesaurus, or the OKAPI tool that would help improve a text document?