English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

a word for " a person/politician asking to review/modify a newspaper article before it is published"

share|improve this question

closed as not a real question by RegDwigнt Sep 16 '12 at 16:55

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

up vote 1 down vote accepted

Some terms like quote approval, veto power, and green light appear in a recent Guardian article on the subject of right-of-review.

Quote approval also appears in a recent CNN article, along with terms like on background (where interviewee insists on no quotes), Faustian bargain (as Dan Rather calls pre-publication-review agreements), and lapdogs (his term for journalists who agree to such provisions). I suppose that if you agree with the second term, you could call the person or politician asking to review or modify a newspaper article before publication Faust.

The verb redact (“To censor...”, “To black out text...”), mentioned in comment below, leads to nouns redaction (“The change or changes made while editing”, “The process of editing or censoring”) and redactor (“A person who redacts”). I think of redaction as occurring either post-publication (eg copies of a book or newspaper might have pages or articles removed) or in a document-release process (eg a letter or article may be reviewed and parts of it deleted before delivery or release) rather than before publication. However, the two senses of redaction quoted above seem to allow changes before publication, although the etymology of redact (essentially, “back action”) militates against that interpretation.

share|improve this answer
These may be the words;To be precise, I am looking for the word which I read long ago on BBC website regarding some politics issue. Unfortunately, I didn't take a note of it. Could you help me in the way my search of the word on the web should be directed (how to find out a word from (bottom-top)its meaning to the word-may sound silly ;p) – Manoj Sep 15 '12 at 14:17
@Manoj, see links in following: example1; example2; example3. Particularly onelook.com. Also see dico – jwpat7 Sep 15 '12 at 18:07
Thank a lot. onelook.com is awesome. I found the word- it's "redact." :) :). Does my question, in anyway, lead to the answer(redact) from your point of view? else how could I re-frame the question in order to get the correct answer? – Manoj Sep 16 '12 at 10:26
Mainly by saying after the article is published, instead of before, in the question :) (See edit) But in general, additional context in question, or precise and distinct examples, will aid people in guessing the word. – jwpat7 Sep 16 '12 at 14:14

The term vetting is often used

to subject to usually expert appraisal or correction: vet a manuscript

The phrase sign off is also used

to approve or acknowledge something by or as if by a signature: sign off on a memo

share|improve this answer

"pre-publication review" or "pre-publication approval"?

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.