English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have three years I am putting on a chart: current year, last year, and I'm not sure what to call the year that came before the last. Does it have a name? Would it be "pre-last"?

share|improve this question
The year that came after the last - is the current one ;) – Alok Sep 13 '12 at 21:58
Think day before yesterday. – Kris Sep 14 '12 at 6:55
Year before yesteryear? – Matt E. Эллен Sep 20 '12 at 9:27
up vote 7 down vote accepted

The "year before last" is what one would normally say.

share|improve this answer
Also, "two years prior" or "two years ago". – Zairja Sep 13 '12 at 20:56
I feel like an idiot, thank you! – Stella Sep 13 '12 at 20:57
@Stella No, just a lack of research. – Kris Sep 14 '12 at 6:56

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.