English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've sometimes seen this construct, used to avoid repetitive handwriting, but I don't even know if it's proper English.

If it is, what is the name of this construct? I have no idea what to search for when looking it up...

  • Don't forget to buy eggs.
  •  "   "  " " yogurt.
  •  "   "  " " milk.
share|improve this question
Questions that can simply be answered by quoting or linking to a dictionary definition are off topic here. Please see the faq to learn more about what the site is for. – MετάEd Sep 9 '12 at 4:57
up vote 13 down vote accepted

ditto 1: a thing mentioned previously or above —used to avoid repeating a word —often symbolized by inverted commas or apostrophes 2: a ditto mark

share|improve this answer
Oh LOL I didn't know it's called a ditto! Haha that makes total sense, thanks! – Mehrdad Sep 8 '12 at 22:48
@Mehrdad: Note that the marks don't work unless they're lined up directly beneath the word being dittoed. – Robusto Sep 9 '12 at 1:59
@Robusto: Yeah i tried to do that in the question. – Mehrdad Sep 9 '12 at 2:13

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.