English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to write the phrase "take a rain cheque" and am British.

Should I therefore use the British spelling of the word cheque, or respect the baseball origin of the phrase "rain check" and use the American spelling?

share|improve this question
If the term "rain cheque" exists in British English, then use that. If the term is not well understood in Britain you could use either, but probably "rain check" (with quotes) would be a good way to introduce the term. – Robusto Sep 4 '12 at 18:53
It is a well known phrase in Britain, but I don't believe its etymology is as well known. I think most British people would write it as it sounds - rain check - but what's correct? – ajcw Sep 4 '12 at 19:18
There are good arguments for either spelling in this situation, so either is acceptable. – Cerberus Sep 4 '12 at 19:25
I've never seen it spelled "rain cheque", and as it's an American expression [albeit with no native British equivalent I can think of] I'd always spell it check. – Andrew Leach Sep 4 '12 at 19:39
Wow! I've only ever seen "rain cheque". Good to learn that this is etymologically wrong. I shall have to start writing "rain check" from now on. – user16269 Sep 4 '12 at 20:55
up vote 13 down vote accepted

The entry in the OED is for rain check and it describes the spelling with cheque as rare. The derivation has nothing to do with cheques issued by banks. The check part is 'A token, usually a memorandum of receipt, a ticket, or piece of metal duly stamped or numbered, used for the purpose of identification, or as evidence of ownership or title'. If you write rain check, you have etymology and usage on your side.

share|improve this answer
How do British people spell the word meaning a token you get showing ownership? Do British people write "coat cheque" or "coat check"? (Or "hat cheque/check", etc.) – Jay Sep 4 '12 at 20:10
@Jay: If we used it all, I think it would be 'check'. 'Cheque' is limited to the piece of paper used for financial transactions. – Barrie England Sep 4 '12 at 20:26
@Jay, they spell it "ticket". – Peter Taylor Sep 4 '12 at 22:00
@RobinMichael - no, it was a free pass for another game if the match was rained off – mgb Sep 5 '12 at 5:11
@RobinMichael I've never seen a metal rain check or coat check, etc. A coat/hat/whatever check is usually a little slip of paper or cardboard with a number on it. A rain check -- and the only "rain checks" I've ever gotten have nothing to do with rain, they're usually for an item that was on sale and is sold out, or a show that was cancelled because of scheduling problems -- is usually maybe 5 or 10 square inches of paper with some text saying what it's good for. – Jay Sep 5 '12 at 14:11

protected by Community Oct 23 '14 at 4:59

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.