English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a single term which includes words and parts of words, e.g., the term could be applied to any of these:

  • the word “international”
  • the root “inter-” taken independently of the words it fits in
  • any segmentable part of a word, e.g. “in”, “ter”, “na”, “tion”, “al”, which is in this case segmentation by syllable

The term could, but need not necessarily, include letters.

share|improve this question
All of those things are substrings of the word, though not all substrings are categories on their own, like prefixes or syllables are. Do you want something that encompasses only the categorized parts of a word? – Cameron Sep 2 '12 at 0:01
-1 research not shown – MετάEd Sep 2 '12 at 5:28
up vote 8 down vote accepted

It depends on whether the word chunk is a meaningful constituent or not. Most chunks aren't.

In international, there are at least three Morphemes -- maybe four, depending on whether one counts the in- in inter:

  • in-ter . nation . al

Morphemes are the meaningful chunks of words, like book and keep in bookkeepers, as well as derivational and inflectional bound forms like -al, -er, and -s.

However, meaningless substrings such as terna, ookkee, or nal are not morphemes.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.