Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Suppose I wrote an article, and I want other gurus to make it better, first thought was optimize my article, but after looking up that word, it means do something most efficiently, so it’s far from my meaning.

What word should I use in replace of optimize?

___ my article”

share|improve this question
You could use 'polish', assuming no major errors needed fixing. –  Roaring Fish Sep 1 '12 at 15:20
General Reference. -1 Research not shown. Please see the faq. –  MετάEd Sep 1 '12 at 16:02

5 Answers 5

up vote 4 down vote accepted

What other gurus would be doing to your article would be revise or review it. In the Acknowledgements section, you'd then typically say, "Many thanks to Guru Jack and Guru Jane for reviewing early versions of the draft" or something to that extent.

share|improve this answer

You can simply use the verb improve.

share|improve this answer
Or polish up for something a bit more casual, and refine for something a bit more formal. –  FumbleFingers Sep 1 '12 at 15:21
Yes, refine is what immediately came to my mind. –  Jim Sep 1 '12 at 20:33

I would say 'copy-edit' — as in, when you say guru, if you mean someone who knows the subject matter that you want to make sure what you've written makes sense, is accurate, and isn't being overly wordy or assuming the reader knows something that may need clarification.

So may be suitable if you wanted someone to review what you've written for problems, but not making their own changes in the tone or content of the piece above and beyond this.

From Wikipedia:

The "five Cs" summarize the copy editor's job: Make the copy clear, correct, concise, complete, and consistent. Copy editors should make it say what it means, and mean what it says.

Typically, copy editing involves correcting spelling, punctuation, grammar, terminology, jargon, and semantics, and ensuring that the text adheres to the publisher's style or an external style guide.

Copy editors are expected to ensure that the text flows, that it is sensible, fair, and accurate, and that any legal problems have been addressed. If a passage is unclear or an assertion seems questionable, the copy editor may ask the writer to clarify it.

share|improve this answer

How about asking them to amend your work?

v. to change for the better

share|improve this answer
When providing a definition, please also provide a link to the source. –  p.s.w.g Aug 15 '13 at 21:41

Maybe we need a neologistic verb: Wiki me!

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.