English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

At the end of some movies, there is a song to be played. Is there any word to call these songs?

As an example "My Heart Will Go On" from Celine Dion at the of Titanic.

share|improve this question
I'd call it the playout song – FumbleFingers Aug 30 '12 at 20:50
-1 Please show your research effort. – MετάEd Aug 31 '12 at 4:45
up vote 3 down vote accepted

I think the industry phrase, seen on CD covers and whatnot, is Ending Credits Theme or Closing Titles Theme.

share|improve this answer
Can you cite examples? "We answers to be supported by facts, references, or specific expertise." – MετάEd Aug 31 '12 at 4:42

"Exit Music (For a Film)" is the title of a song by Radiohead that was written for the closing credits of the 1996 film William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. In turn, Exit Music was adopted by Ian Rankin as the title of his last book in the Inspector Rebus series.

So while I'd probably go with @ghoppe's answer for the official industry phrase, the (in my opinion) quite elegant "exit music" does have some cultural currency as well as being descriptive.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.