English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the term for the literary use of a 'descriptor' in place of a proper name, as in Shakespeare's play Much Ado about Nothing, when Benedict refers to Beatrice as "Lady Disdain" instead of Lady Beatrice?

share|improve this question
Looks like antonomasia. – Alex B. Aug 25 '12 at 20:18

The term epithet conveys your meaning. Accoridng to American Heritage

A term used as a descriptive substitute for the name or title of a person, such as The Great Emancipator for Abraham Lincoln.

Similarly Compact OED defines it as

an adjective or phrase expressing a quality or attribute regarded as characteristic of the person or thing mentioned

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.