English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm not a native English speaker and I have to describe a certain scenario or a component that actually represents a strip of time. This strip would actually look similar to this with some point on it:

|00:00    |01:00   |02:00   |03:00   |04:00 ....
|___________________________________________ _ _
|___________________________________________ _ _

I have to write formal documentation but don't know what would be the best name for this kind of visual representation of time. I feel that using timestrip may not be best.

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

This is called a timeline.

A graphical representation of a chronological sequence of events (past or future); a chronology.

share|improve this answer
Thank you very much. Exactly what I was looking for. – Robert Koritnik Aug 21 '12 at 17:12
I'm accustomed to using timebands to refer to specific subsections within timelines. – FumbleFingers Aug 21 '12 at 19:27

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.