English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
What is the etymology of the word teeter totter?

What's the difference between "teeter totter" and "seesaw"? is it like they are totally interchangeable?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by tchrist, FumbleFingers, Kris, jwpat7, Urbycoz Aug 22 '12 at 7:30

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

@brilliant: I'm surprised you didn't realise this question had been asked before. Even if you forgot to search ELU before asking it again, I'd have thought the system would have automatically listed it above your question text as you were writing. If I start writing a question which includes the words teeter totter seesaw in either title or text, the earlier one (followed now by yours!) is top of the "possible duplicates" display. – FumbleFingers Aug 21 '12 at 12:38
@FumbleFingers - Yes, I I didn't notice it. – brilliant Aug 21 '12 at 13:19
@brilliant: I must admit I'd never come across the American teeter totter = seesaw before. When I first read your question I thought you were asking about the difference between the three verbs teeter, totter, seesaw, all of which mean *sway unsteadily to me. – FumbleFingers Aug 21 '12 at 13:24

According to wikipedia, they are interchangeable:

A see saw (also known as a teeter-totter or teeter board) is a long, narrow board pivoted in the middle so that, as one end goes up, the other goes down.

Although, I should add that we British don't tend to use the word teeter-totter at all.

share|improve this answer
You're right. It's not used in the UK. I hadn't heard of it, until I saw the question here. Is it an example of American English? – Tristan Aug 21 '12 at 13:57
I had the belief that "seesaw" can also refer to a kind of two-seated swing (two seats opposing each other, hung from the middle with a pair of rigid bar that keeps it horizontal), and that teeter-totter cannot, but apparently either word can refer to this as well. – Random832 Aug 21 '12 at 14:01

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.