English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What's the correct term to refer to the money an actor earns as a result of performing on a movie/film? The contractual "engagement/fee/honorarium" for the service of acting.

Slang and official terms, please, if possible.


share|improve this question

closed as too localized by FumbleFingers, Andrew Leach, coleopterist, MετάEd, tchrist Aug 19 '12 at 5:27

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

What's wrong with "payment"? – Robusto Aug 18 '12 at 15:02
There are a lot of possible answers here. In the USA, for instance, these are terms of art and contract law, for which one should consult Actors' Equity; for current slang, one should consult current actors. – John Lawler Aug 18 '12 at 15:17
@JohnLawler: you seem to be very knowledgeable in this field, care to share some terms from your "off the top of your head" list? Casting fee? – Robottinosino Aug 18 '12 at 15:23
@bib: precisely! You are exactly on the right track! That's what I meant... Awesome. An answer with some terms may help me and the next person stumbling on this post... – Robottinosino Aug 18 '12 at 15:31
I think this is Not Constructive. I've heard actors/musicians justify a "tacky" performance by saying "It's their dime" ("they" being the people directly paying the performer). By my reckoning, therefore, dime is just one more entry in a ridiculously long list of words that can be used with OP's intended meaning. There is no "right" answer. – FumbleFingers Aug 18 '12 at 16:02
up vote 1 down vote accepted

The answer hinges on what you mean by "correct".

If you mean normal usage, then, as others point out, it is better to consult a general reference on slang words. This may yield interesting geographic or temporal differences in usage. What did minstrels work for if not a dime?

However, if you mean the official term, then those terms that refer to the delivery of any service on agreed-upon terms, such as payment, remuneration, or even fee, should apply. As an aside, these categories are not mutually exclusive because a slang word can become official by agreement.

share|improve this answer

Because Art is created/performed for so many different reasons, I think that the words for the 'engagement' and 'compensation' do not have much common-agreement.

If you seek for the best word, look to the context of how the artistic work was solicited, its duration, and how arrangements for compensation were made. The patterns will be similar to the patterns of other employment, and words from other other situations of work/labor will probably feel the most correct in this context.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.