English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There is a kind of technical/accounting term in Russian: документооборот or делопроизводство. It describes the set of actions and processes for the purpose of formal document management in a large organization. For example, documents should be reviewed, approved, tagged, properly structured, have mandatory references, etc. Dictionary suggests to use "documents circulation", but I'm afraid that's not what I want. I expect there to be another word (or combination) I can use. Would you suggest any?

share|improve this question
circulationofdocuments. – Avner Shahar-Kashtan Aug 16 '12 at 8:19
up vote 4 down vote accepted

The term that you are looking for could be one of:

  • Paperwork
  • Record-keeping
  • Procedure (The set of established forms or methods of an organized body for accomplishing a certain task or tasks.)
  • Document management/Content management/Record management
share|improve this answer
I've been with a company that used the terms "document control" and "document governance", as well. – Zairja Aug 16 '12 at 13:04

"Processing of documents" is often used to describe the procedure you have described above.

share|improve this answer

Promulgation or to promulgate is the official and approved distribution of a document or publication.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.